Sunday, June 7, 2009

New beginning

Well, after creating this blog some time ago and having done nothing with it, I've decided that perhaps I should! I thought Twitter would satisfy most of my tell-the-world-what-I'm-doing needs, but sometimes you just need to say more! So, here I am.

My main reason now for wanting to post a bit more detail than Twitter allows is because I am attempting to take my first real steps in the open source world [1]. As a approach my first anniversary of my shift into Unix sysadmin - specifically Solaris - I've discovered that projects already out there dedicated to creating third-party software packages for Solaris are somewhat lacking and inflexible. Inspired by FreeBSD, I've decided to "borrow" their idea of a ports collection and have started a project called SolPorts.

So far it's coming along nicely. It actually builds usable packages, for a start! I just need contributors/volunteers to help me out now.

[1] I'm already a member of Box Backup (and maintain a FreeBSD port for it), however my contributions are very minor.

2 comments:

Will said...

Welcome back to blogger!

James O'Gorman said...

Why thank you, Sir. I thought you were still a LiveJouralite?